How to enroll?

How to enroll in the Aalto University’s, University of Helsinki’s and Hanken School of Economics’ master- and doctoral-level courses in economics


Master’s and PhD degree students in Economics at Aalto University School of Business, University of Helsinki and Hanken School of Economics (Helsinki Graduate School of Economics member universities) are allowed to take master- and doctoral-level courses in economics at the three universities mentioned before.

If the courses you are willing to take have already started, but you haven’t applied for the study rights for the courses or the study rights haven’t been granted yet, don’t panic! You can start the courses without the study rights. Please fill in the form (see below) asap and/or contact Helsinki GSE coordinator Jenni Rytkönen, jenni.rytkonen [at]

Please note that if you don’t have IT access to the course host university’s IT systems you may not have access to the IT platforms (Mycourses, Moodle) from where the course material can be downloaded. Please ask help for your class mates, teaching assistant or lecturer who have access to the materials.

If you are considering taking Hanken courses or you are facing any problems with the study rights or credit transfers, please contact Jenni Rytkönen (jenni.rytkonen [at)

How to register for these courses:

  • Master and doctoral students in economics at the course host university (Aalto University/Hanken School of Economics/University of Helsinki):
    • Can register for the course normally via host university’s WebOodi.
  • Master and doctoral students in economics at the other two HelsinkiGSE member universities (also Aalto’s and UH’s exchange students)
    • Can apply for a study right for all the courses included in the HelsinkiGSE cooperation at once by filling in the online form (the link has been removed and a new online form will be added here next summer)
    • Please note that granting the study rights may take some time (weeks) because the study rights are processed manually.
    • The right to complete the courses will be granted for two years (or the duration of the exchange period).
    • After the student has been given the study rights and instructions for activating IT-access, (s)he must register for the courses in the host university’s WebOodi.
    • With the host university’s username and password (IT-access) (s)he can also access host university’s teaching platforms (Mycourses, Moodle etc.) and other IT environment.
    • Students are advised to apply the study right at least three weeks before autumn/spring semester.
  • All the other doctoral students:
    • For example other doctoral students at the FDPE member universities (excluding HelsinkiGSE doctoral students)
    • and doctoral students majoring in other disciplines than economics at the Aalto University, Hanken School of Economics and University of Helsinki
    • need to apply a study right for the course by sending a message to and by providing following information:
      • List of the courses one wants to take
      • First name(s)
      • Family name
      • Social security number (or birthday if you don’t have the Finnish social security number yet). As soon as you have received your Finnish Identity Code you are obliged to inform the university about it.
      • Home university
      • Student ID number at home university
      • Major
      • Doctoral or master student
      • Mobilephone number
      • E-mail address that you use regularly
      • Home address
      • Postal code
      • City
      • Gender
      • Nationality
  • This data is required by the host university in order to create a study right and to register the student’s course credits in the university’s data base and also to communicate with the participants. The data will not be used for any other purposes. After you have been given the study right and instructions for activating your IT-access, register for the course in Aalto WebOodi. With the Aalto username and password (IT-access) you can also access Aalto’s teaching platform (Mycourses) and other IT environment.

Register for the exams held in Aalto University also in Aalto’s Weboodi. For more information see Aalto University’s intructions at:


How the credits are registered in the student’s home university’s study register:

  • When the examiner has evaluated the students’s course performance, the grades are registered in the study register of the course’s host university.
  • If the student is studying at one of the HelsinkiGSE member universities (other than the host university) Economics as her/his major, the credits are transferred to the universities’ study registers by the administration of the universities. Please note that the credits are transferred by the administration only from the academic year 2019-2020 onwards. If you have completed courses included in the HelsinkiGSE cooperation before that and the credits have not been registered for you yet at your home university, please send your official transcript of records from Aalto/Hanken/UH to your home university, so that the credits can be transferred.
  • All the other students must ask for a transcript of records from the course host university in order to transfer the credits to their home university. The approval of the credit transfer is done according to home university’s procedures.
Helsinki GSE