June 17, 2020
Please note that, if you happen to find conflicting information between this page and Aalto University’s WebOodi/Sisu, consider WebOodi/Sisu the primary source of information.
This course is an introduction to the mathematical concepts needed to read and produce economics research. The aim is to develop the basic methodological skills required to analyze and apply economic theory and econometric techniques to the problems they will study throughout the program. The key topics covered include:
- Analysis: Implicit function theorem, convex/concave functions, fixed point theory, separating hyperplanes, envelope theorem
- Constrained and Unconstrained Optimization: Unconstrained optimization (1st+2nd order conditions), Con-strained Optimization (Lagrange Multiplies, Karush Kuhn Tucker Conditions), Berge’s Maximum Theorem
- Probability: basic concepts (moments, independence, conditional probabil-ity), law of large numbers, central limit theorem, frequentist inference
- Host university: Aalto University
- Instructor: Daniel Hauser
- Time: 23. – 2.9.2021, 3.9. exam, see the schedule below (the course will be given remotely)
- Registration for the course: register for the course in Sisu (registration begins Aug 9th)
- Students at Aalto University:
- Please register for the course officially in Aalto’s Sisu: please see the instructions here
- If you are not an economics student (rMSc or PhD) and the course can’t be found your study structure, please enter the course as an optional course in your primary study plan, so that you can proceed to register for it.
- Students at the University of Helsinki, Hanken and other FDPE universities:
- To be able to register for the course officially and complete the course, you must apply for a study right for the course, see How to Enroll? (deadline for the study right application: August 15th, 2020)
- The day after your study right has been registered, you will be created a digital identity (Aalto IT account and username) and you will receive a message informing you how to activate your IT account. The message is sent to the email address you have given in the application.
- Please note that you must also register for the course officially in Aalto’s Sisu with your Aalto username. The instructions can be found here.
- Students at Aalto University:
- Course material: After registering for the course log into the course workspace at Aalto MyCourses with your Aalto username to get access to the course material.
- If you have trouble in registration and/or signing into MyCourses, please contact Helsinki GSE’s coordinator Jenni Rytkönen (on vacation in July) firstname.lastname@example.org
- The course includes 24 hours of lectures, 8 hours of exercises and a final exam for those who want to complete the course; the final exam is mandatory for Aalto students
Mon 23.08.21 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
Tue 24.08.21 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
Wed 25.08.21 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
Thu 26.08.21 10:00-12:00
Mon 30.08.21 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
Tue 31.08.21 10:00-12:00 and 13:00-15:00
Wed 01.09.21 10:00-12:00
Thu 26.08.21 13:00-15:00
Fri 27.08.21 10:00-12:00
Wed 01.09.21 13:00-15:00
Thu 02.09.21 10:00-12:00
Fri 3.9. 10-12