August 12, 2019
Please note that, if you happen to find conflicting information between this page and Sisu/MyCourses pages, consider the Sisu/MyCourses pages the primary source of information.
Method of completion: contact teaching
- Can be found on the course Sisu page
- Can be found in the MyCourses learning platform
- Log in with your Aalto username as Aalto user to be able to use all the features of the course workspace
- To be able to access the course workspace you must have registered for the course successfully in Aalto’s Sisu
- In Aalto’s Sisu with Aalto username
- To be able to register for the course in Sisu, please note that
- You must have a valid right to study at the course host university
- You have created your primary personal study plan (HOPS) based on your study right
- You have added the course for which you are registering to your HOPS
- More information can be found on the webpage How to enroll in the courses?
This course documents and explains the history of economic growth. Topics discussed include technological and financial innovation, political and economic institutions, industrialization, international trade, social mobility and inequality. We discuss how cross-country differences in economic development have been explained by differences in geography, culture, institutions and luck, and review work assessing the empirical relevance of these explanations. We also cover research on financial crises and the industrial revolution.